Tuesday 5 June 2012

Suzuka Review

Hi Anime Fans!

Wow, I'm starting to get the hang of this now - welcome to my second post on a very little known, but very enjoyable anime, Suzuka.


Aww ... if only Yamato was this cute in the Anime -_-


For some reason, Suzuka seems to be an anime that is severely unknown by a lot of anime fans. Oh, it has its problems. Its MAJOR problems. But I can't see why it isn't more well known - I would expect it to be a lot more popular than it is. However, moving onto the review. I'll start with the basic plot:

Yamato Akitsuki moves to the big city of Tokyo to start a new life at a new high school. On his first day in Tokyo, Yamato sees a beautiful girl high jumping in the rain ... who just happens to be his new next door neighbour. The plot revolves around these two overcoming the problems in their relationship and becoming closer.
I'll start with the characters. Firstly, Yamato.
I am the only one who thinks he looks high in this picture?
For a main character, Yamato is surprisingly bland. He is a typical, cheerful and blunt male protagonist. But I was surprised at how little impact he had. He has liked a lot of girls in the past, and the way he treats Honoka is downright dispicable. He goes out with her, even though he accepts how he feels about Suzuka. He holds up no responsibility and and makes a lot of mistakes. And even though he realises the mistakes he makes, he is constantly apologising for them, which doesnt make him a very strong character.
Next Suzuka.
Cute expression ...the way she gradually lets her guard down in front of Yamato is kind of clever ...
The thing about Suzuka? She is so misunderstood. Honestly, every comment on youtube is about how bitchy and evil she is - but to be honest, shes not really that bad. She acts bossy and annoying around Yamato because he reminds her of someone that she loved a lot and lost. I think she acts that way to stop herself from getting too close to him - she is protecting herself because she doesn't want to get hurt again. Suzuka is ambitious and hard working, and she is caring to all of her friends. She even has a kind conversation with people once in a while. So fan girls: stop hating on Suzuka ... she isn't really that bad. Heck, I even like her - shes selfless and mature, and a decent role model.
*Sigh*. Now onto Honoka.
God I'm jealous of her hair ...
Oh Honoka. Sweet, innocent, kind Honoka. Why do you like Yamato? You could do so much better. She is selfless, kind and friendly to everyone. Dating Yamato does nothing but make insecurities greater. Honestly, Honoka gives up everything for Yamato, but he keeps going back to Suzuka ... and Honoka is too loyal to admit it. I have to say, the episodes where Honoka and Yamato are dating (and Suzuka is keeping quiet about her feelings to keep her friends happy) are some of my favourite episodes. They help show the best points of all the characters.
Next: The amazing Miki.
I think Miki is the best designed character ... in my opinion.
Oh Miki. Miki is the best character in this anime. She is funny and the only laughable comic relief in the whole story. But more than that, she is one of the most supportive, and kind female characters in any anime. She is such a good friend, and yet everyone takes her for granted. She always acts selflessly and kind, yet nobody acknowledges how lucky they are to have her. But i recognise it - GO MIKI!!!
Artwork: The style of this anime is slightly old fashioned, like a kind of 90's style anime, and to be honest, I think it works well. The backgrounds aren't anything spectacular, but I adore the angles and colours used. The uniform is always very attractive for the character, and I also like the eyes. All in all, I like this artwork.
Music: I really loved the opening of Suzuka, because the song really captured Suzuka's determination and strengh ... and I would probably have to say that I prefer the English version. However, for the ending song, I preffered Kimi ni Koto instead of the other one. It is to cheerful to capture the emotion of the anime, whereas kimi ni koto was a very pretty song. I also loved the instrumental piano piece called tooi hi, which is a very soothing and bittersweet song.
Overall story: In my opinion, the story with Suzuka and Tsuda is the most interesting story of the whole anime, but it only lasts a couple of episodes. If the anime played up the emotion in this arc, it could have made a very touching story about a girl trying to get over the guy that she loved ... however, not enough time is put into this story to make it worthwhile. Overall though, the story was average ... with good points and bad points.
Plot: 5/10
Characters:5/10
Artwork: 8/10
Music: 7/10
Overall: 6/10
If anybody had an issue with the abrupt ending, then the manga is a continuation of the story ... check it out! Until next time anime fans ... bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment